Monday, June 18, 2012

Abbybars! My version of Larabars!

These things cost, like, 2 bucks a pop and Hayden and I both live off of them.  I love them because they are simple, full of nutrients and the list of ingredients is literally no more than 5 items long. I know what i'm eating and I just feel better that way!




We definitively can't support our larabar habit on our family's income, and we shouldn't have to! I decided to google around and see if I could find a relatively easy and inexpensive recipe to create these things.


 I found a bunch. I closed my eyes and picked this one....http://www.damyhealth.com/2011/03/how-to-make-homemade-lara-bars/


It has some great guidelines and whatnot, but my version didn't really work too well following her recipe. I had to make some minor changes.


I chose to make the Chocolate Coconut Chew bar. I had some raw pecans in the freezer, but had to go out and buy some flaked coconut, cocoa powder and dates.


Here's my ingredient list for 7-8 bars:


3/4 cup of raw pecans
9 Tbsp cocoa powder
3/4 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
7-10 ounces of dates (A bag of em!)




Step one:
Chop the pecans in the food processor until chunky.
*You don't want them to become a powder, just small little bits*
Dump these into a mixing bowl






Step two:
Mince up the dates in food processor.
You will know these are done when they mush up into a ball while processing and thump around inside your processor!
Add this to your nuts!








Step three:
Add a pinch of salt!


Step four:
Add 9 Tbsp of cocoa powder. I know, I know, Sounds like a lot! But no! I really mean 9 Tbsps!




Step five:
Add coconut!




Step six:
Time to get dirty! Take your rings off and start kneading this chocolaty good till its thoroughly mixed and  forms into balls easily.
*You may need to add a few sprinkles of water to get the desired consistency!*






Step seven:
Form into bars or balls, your choice and place on plastic wrap! Cover and refrigerate!
*I wrapped mine in plastic wrap with labels-easy for transport and whatnot. Baggies work well too!








TADA! You are done!!!




Another version I have made are Chocolate/Peanut butter bars!

Ingredients:
1 bag of dates
5 Tbsps Cocoa
1/2 cup of nuts ( I used half almonds, half hazelnuts)
2Tbsps natural PB

And mix as shown above!

With any recipe, I just tasted it as I went and added more of whatever my pallet desired!



They are about 230 calories per bar. I know it sounds like a lot if you are trying to lose weight but there are nothing but wholesome ingredients that will nourish and sustain your body!! Great for breakfast or afternoon snacks!!


Enjoy!!















1 comment: